05 July 2009

Tips & Other Means of Revenue

Anyone who has ever collected a toll would probably have the urge to overcharge and pocket the extra money. I'm not going to say I haven't thought about it, but I know that I'd never do it because I have a code of ethics and screwing over hard working people is a part of my do nots.

However, there are a few times with extra cash comes in that I do get to pocket. I'm not sure why we get tips when we're not parking cars. I understand if we were valet, but we're not. We're simple toll collectors picking up the cash for the stadium.

Yesterday, a man with a goblet of wine pulled into the lot. He wasn't driving, mind you. He was with a few friends. I charged them the regular three-dollar toll for lot 2 and he counted off the bills, passing them one at a time. "One...two...five!"

"Well, that's confusing," I chuckled and handed back the two dollars.

As I dug in my bag for his change, he said to keep a dollar as tip. Okay, so I took out one dollar. As I gave the lady driver the dollar to pass to him, the man took gave back one of the dollars that he'd originally gave to me and I returned plus the dollar change I was giving him and said to keep it as a tip since I was working so hard in the hot sun. I stood there after they left wondering just how much I had left. I know it's three dollars in tips, but at the time I kept turning it over in my head.

By the end of the night, I had about seven dollars in tips and what not because people were in such a good (drunk) mood last night. I used the extra cash to help those who couldn't pay off their toll and for a soda.

However, back in 2007, standing in the sun, I realized just how easy it would be to sell drugs while on the job. I had the perfect location. It sparked a lot of creativity on my part. I won't ever do it, but it would be nice to write about it, wouldn't it?

0 Comments: