11 July 2009

Tricks of the trade & College students have gotten wise

There is no such thing as free parking. Most of the patrons would like to think there is by bypassing me. It isn't a hard task to do. They simply ignore me.

Because the rules of the game have changed, I'm not longer chasing them (unless, of course, it's a slow Sunday and I'm bored out of my mind), so the tricks have to change. Yesterday, and the days before, I implemented pad and pen trick. It's where I actually write down someones license plate after looking at me and driving forward. This puts them in a state of paranoia because they know I'm going to report their vehicle for not paying. This worked twice yesterday.

Another trick is the one Fred taught me, and one I've already been using. When a patron drives passed me without stopping, jumps the sidewalk or whatever other trick they have, I call them in and send their description. This gets them paranoid that I'm calling a higher authority - which I am, but not the one they think I'm calling - and they return and pay or leave the lot.

Now, I don't stop all the people who enter my parking lot. I've become very discriminative with who stops and who can park. The reason is because several of the college students who enter are parking for the gym across the street. So if I see the parking permit and if they're wearing what I consider work out clothing, they don't have to stop. But two girls have gotten wise about this. They pulled in and parked near the gym, only to drive off when I turned my back to them. Sneaky, but that just cost the rest of them who are actually going to the gym to be stopped and inquired.

Now, again, not all of them will be stopped. A few of them will be let in because I already know who they are and they've already established themselves. If they should sneak passed me, then the rules will have to change again.

Last night, however, I planned to speak with the manager of the stadium to tell him of the my problem. Yesterday was a lost of $10, which isn't much, but still all that money adds up in the end. Especially those who get passed me on Thursdays.

Estella wanted to put a block on the other side, but against my better judgment, I told her it was a bad idea as it would not only piss off a lot of college students, but also cause a great congestion in my area. What I need, even though it's highly not necessary, is a partner again. After Marcus departure - and his return yesterday left me with a shimmering glimpse of hope - I have been grinding my teeth. It's not so much that they bypassed me that bugs me, but that several other, hardworking people have to pay while these free spirit morons are allowed in for free. Again, I've never been one to screw over the hardworking.

So today, I'm going to make my case. Either I get to chase after them, or they give me a partner or they lose money. Simple as that.

0 Comments: